• Article Rating
  •  Average 3.5 out of 5
  • Hired a backpacker?

    6 June 2017

    If you employ backpackers who are in Australia on a 417 or 462 working holiday visa there are some things you'll need to do following the tax rate changes that started on 1 January 2017.

    Hired a working holiday maker before 1 January 2017?

    You'll need to issue two payment summaries for any working holiday maker you employed both before and after 1 January:

    • one for income earned up to 31 December 2016
    • one for income earned from 1 January 2017 (using gross payments type H).

    Hiring or thinking of hiring working holiday makers?

    There are three things you'll need to do:

    1. Make sure you register with us so you can withhold at the 15% tax rate – you only need to register once, not for every worker you employ.
    2. Check they have a visa that allows them to work in Australia.
    3. Withhold 15% from every dollar earned up to $37,000 – foreign resident tax rates apply from $37,001.

    If you don't register, not only will you need to withhold at the foreign resident tax rate of 32.5% from the first dollar your working holiday maker earns, but you might also be penalised.

    Next steps:

    Find out about:


    Please give us your feedback in 30 seconds


  • Rate this article
  •  Average 3.5 out of 5