• Article Rating
  •  Average 2 out of 5
  • Making 'cents' of car allowances


    10 February 2017 

    Changes to car allowances mean if you are paying your employees a car allowance in excess of 66c per kilometre, you need to withhold tax on the amount you pay over 66c.

    If you haven’t been doing this since July 2015, you should begin to withhold tax on the amount you pay over 66c and advise your employees.

    What if your employees think that not withholding until now might result in them getting a tax bill?

    Depending on the amount you’ve paid them, this shouldn’t have a significant impact on their tax for the year. But you can agree to increase the amount you withhold for the remainder of the financial year to cover the shortfall.

    Remember, registered tax agents and BAS agents can help you with tax and super advice.

    Next step:

    Find out about:

  • Rate this article
  •  Average 2 out of 5