• Refund of franking credits

    Which DGRs are eligible to claim a refund of franking credits?

    To be eligible for the refund of franking credits, a deductible gift recipient (DGR) must:

    • be endorsed by the Commissioner as a DGR or be specifically named in one of the tables of recipients for deductible gifts in the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997
    • have an Australian business number
    • be an Australian resident at all times during the income year in which the dividend is paid directly to the charity by the company, or paid indirectly through a trust.

    A DGR must be endorsed in its own right. It is not sufficient if the DGR is only endorsed in relation to a fund, authority or organisation that it operates, such as a school building fund.

    Further information

    For more information, refer to our fact sheet Refund of franking credits – Endorsed income tax exempt entities and deductible gift recipients – 1 July 2011 to 30 June 2012 (NAT 6716).

    End of further information

    How does an eligible organisation apply for a refund of franking credits?

    Each year, the ATO sends a personalised refund application package to organisations that:

    • are recorded with us as an endorsed income tax exempt entity, a deductible gift recipient (DGR) endorsed in its own right or a DGR specifically named in the Act or prescribed in the Regulations
    • applied for and received a refund in respect of the previous year.

    The application package contains a form, instructions and information sheet. Organisations that are endorsed, and wish to apply for a refund and have not received a refund package, should contact us.

    Replacement forms are available on request from us by phoning 1300 130 248.

      Last modified: 24 Jun 2014QC 16663