Show download pdf controls
  • Local government requirements

    Local government authorities manage and regulate the use of public places. Public places are lands not under private ownership or lands that are vested in the Crown (Australian Federal state or territory governments). They may include parks, playgrounds, coastal foreshores, sporting grounds, swimming pools, streets, footpaths, cycle ways, town centres, libraries, or community centres.

    If an NFP organisation wants to conduct fundraising activities in a public place, it should first find out the requirements of the relevant local council. In some instances, it may also need to consult other government departments, such as state or territory road and transport authorities.

    Requirements vary from council to council, but generally can include:

    • ensuring that the proposed activity is permissible under the relevant local law, planning policy, scheme or local environment plan
    • providing evidence of public liability insurance cover for the event, sufficient security and adequate toilet facilities
    • obtaining permits for preparing and selling food on site, operating electrical equipment, closing streets and selling alcohol, and
    • providing evidence that any rides (for example, jumping castles or merry-go-rounds) comply with relevant Australian standards, especially occupational health and safety laws.

    See also:

      Last modified: 27 Jun 2018QC 33659