Show download pdf controls
  • Registrations you might need for a not-for-profit organisation

    When starting a not-for-profit (NFP) organisation you need to consider what types of government registrations you'll need to apply for, such as:

    • obtaining an Australian business numberExternal Link (ABN) if you are required to register with us to meet your tax obligations, or are seeking endorsement as a deductible gift recipient (DGR)
    • charity registrationExternal Link with the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission (ACNC) before you can access charity tax concessions
    • registering a business nameExternal Link with the Australian Securities & Investments Corporation (ASIC) if you carry on a business or trade within Australia
    • licences to operate issued by your state or territory government – most states have a small business department that can tell you what licences you need and how to get them such as fund-raising or gaming licenses
    • council permits to operate, for example using a building for a specific purpose, or to sell food or dangerous goods – check any requirements with your local council.

    Additional taxes and duties may also be charged by state and territory governments, including:

    • stamp duty (or duty in the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Queensland, Tasmania, Victoria and Western Australia)
    • payroll tax
    • land tax.

    As the requirements for these taxes and duties vary, organisations should seek clarification from their local state or territory revenue office.

    See also:

    Last modified: 04 Mar 2019QC 58115