• What organisations are entitled?



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    To be entitled to refunds of franking credits, your organisation must be either an endorsed income tax exempt charity or a deductible gift recipient.

    What charities are entitled?

    To be entitled, a charity must:

    • have an Australian business number (ABN)
    • be endorsed as an ITEC, and
    • be a resident.

    What deductible gift recipients are entitled?

    To be entitled, a deductible gift recipient must pass one of the following tests:

    1. It
      • is endorsed in its own right as a DGR
      • has an ABN, and
      • is a resident
    2. It
      • as an ABN
      • is a resident, and
      • is specifically named in a table in Subdivision 30-B of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997.
    3. It is a public fund declared by the Treasurer to be a relief fund.

    Under the second test, the DGR does not need to be endorsed.

    Entitlement to a refund of franking credits is also subject to anti-avoidance rules. For more information about these rules, please refer to our website www.ato.gov.au

      Last modified: 20 Jul 2015QC 18199