• Fringe benefits tax and Christmas parties for tax-exempt bodies

    This fact sheet is for clubs, charities, government departments and other organisations which are wholly or partially income tax exempt. The fringe benefits tax implications of providing Christmas parties for employees (and their associates) of tax-exempt bodies are different to those of income tax paying bodies.

    There are different rules for tax-exempt bodies when it comes to the provision of entertainment because they do not pay income tax. A taxable employer who provides entertainment that is exempt cannot claim the outgoings as income tax deductions - so they pay income tax on those outgoings. For an exempt employer, the outgoings will be subject to FBT, but there will of course be no income tax liability. In this way, there is broadly equity between taxable and tax-exempt employers.

    There is no separate category of fringe benefit for Christmas parties. Where you provide your employees with a Christmas party, it will be a tax-exempt body entertainment fringe benefit, regardless of whether the Christmas party is held on your premises.

    This fact sheet only discusses the tax-exempt body entertainment fringe benefits. For information about the other types of fringe benefits, refer to Fringe benefits tax - a guide for employers (NAT 1054).

    Are you a tax-exempt body?

    Your organisation is a tax-exempt body if your organisation's income is either:

    • wholly exempt from income tax (for example, a local government body or a club that earns income from members only), or
    • partially exempt from income tax (for example, a club that earns income from both members and non-members).



    From 1 July 2005 charities need to be endorsed by the Tax Office as exempt from income tax. If your charity is not endorsed, it will be unable to access charity tax concessions. For more information, see The endorsement process to access charity tax concessions (NAT 3192)

    End of attention
      Last modified: 13 Apr 2011QC 18530