Show download pdf controls
  • Tax file number (TFN) declarations



    This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.

    End of attention

    The answers your employees provide on their Tax file number declaration (NAT 3092) determine the amount you need to withhold from their payments. A Tax file number declaration applies to any payments made after you receive the declaration. If you receive an updated declaration from an employee, it will override the previous one.

    If an employee does not give you a valid Tax file number declaration within 14 days of starting an employer/employee relationship, you must complete a Tax file number declaration with all available details of the employee and send it to us.

    When a TFN has not been provided

    You must withhold 49% from any payment you make to a resident employee and 47% from a foreign resident employee, (ignoring any cents) if all of the following apply:

    • they have not quoted their TFN
    • they have not claimed an exemption from quoting their TFN
    • they have not advised you that they have applied for a TFN or have made an enquiry with us.

    If an employee states at question 1 of the Tax file number declaration they have lodged a Tax file number – application or enquiry for individuals (NAT 1432) with us, they have 28 days to provide you with their TFN.

    If the employee has not given you their TFN within 28 days, you must withhold 49% from any payment you make to a resident employee and 47% from a foreign resident employee (ignoring any cents) unless we tell you not to.


    Do not allow for any tax offsets or Medicare levy adjustments. Do not withhold any amount for:

    • Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) debts
    • Financial Supplement (FS) debts.
    End of attention

    When your employee has a HELP or FS debt

    If your employee has an accumulated HEL P or FS debt, you may need to withhold additional amounts from their payments. Your employee will need to notify you of this on their Tax file number declaration or Withholding declaration.

    Work it out

    To calculate additional withholding amounts for:

    End of work it out
    Last modified: 18 Feb 2015QC 39410