Show download pdf controls
  • How to report

    Use the super transfer balance account report (TBAR) to advise us when:

    • a transfer balance account event occurs
    • you need to correct information about a transfer balance account event that you have previously reported to us
    • you are responding to a commutation authority notice we have issued to a super fund.

    We use this information to adjust your member’s transfer balance account so we can correctly apply the transfer balance cap provisions. We do not use information reported in your self-managed superannuation annual return (SAR) for transfer balance cap purposes.

    Do not use the TBAR to report:

    • a member's total superannuation balance information from 1 July 2018
    • to cancel a report that has already been cancelled.

    Note: As an SMSF trustee you can only report information about your member's interest in the SMSF, not any interests they have in other super funds.

    Find out about:

    See also:

    Reporting methods and lodgment

    You can lodge a transfer balance account report (TBAR) to report information to us by:

    Depending on which method you use, you may be able to report multiple events for multiple members using an electronic method or up to four events per member on each paper form.

    See also:

    Correcting a report

    If you have made an error in your reporting you will need to cancel the original event.

    To cancel the original event you will need to lodge a new form exactly how you originally reported it (including the incorrectly reported information). You will also use an additional field to indicate the form is being lodged as a cancellation of a previous form. This enables us to match your cancellation request to the original lodgment.

    If you want to amend information reported previously you will need to send us two reports. The first report must be lodged to cancel the previous form and a new report must be lodged to provide the correct information.

    If you previously cancelled a report and want to undo the effect of the cancellation, do not try to cancel a cancellation request. Send us a new report to provide the original information.

    Note: If you need to re-report you must ensure that you lodge the cancellation first before sending the correction to avoid duplication.

    Last modified: 31 Oct 2019QC 57301