• Preparing to lodge

    Adding clients to your client list

    You must add new clients to your client list prior to lodging.

    If you don't add the client to your list beforehand, you won't be able to lodge on the clients' behalf as your software will be unable to verify your link to the client.

    You can add new clients to your client list using the client update service, or through the Tax Agent and BAS Agent portals. In some instances, it may take overnight to process your request.

    If you try to lodge for a client not correctly added to your client list, you'll receive an authorisation error. Common reasons for authorisation errors in the PLS include:

    • the client isn't on your client list
    • the client is attached to a different registered agent number (RAN), if you have multiple RANs
    • the TFN or ABN is incorrect
    • you aren't authorised for the relevant role or account
    • your AUSkey permissions haven't been set.

    You can check if a client is on your client list by using the portals. If the client is appearing on your client list but you're still experiencing an authorisation error, remove and re-add the client and try to lodge again.

    Full details of PLS errors, and recommended actions to take, are available in the PLS user guide.

    Access to client records

    You can continue to add new clientsExternal Link to your client list using the Tax Agent and BAS Agent portals.

    Depending on your practice management software, you may be able to manage your client list directly through your SBR-enabled software. You may also have the ability to manage client updates through a batch process. Your software provider will let you know when this option is available.

    Access Manager allows you to assign and manage permissions for your staff. However, you will also need to have adequate internal procedures and security controls in place to ensure access to records is strictly controlled.

    See also:

    Lodging prior-year returns

    The PLS allows you to lodge most prior-year returns. They can be submitted using the PLS but in an ELS-like format. You need to be registered for ELS to be able to lodge prior-year returns through the PLS.

    Full details of the prior-year returns that can be lodged using the PLS are available in the PLS user guide.

    Last modified: 02 May 2017QC 49234