Show download pdf controls
  • Teacher

    If you’re a teacher it pays to learn what you can claim at tax time.

    To claim a deduction for work-related expenses:

    • you must have spent the money yourself and weren’t reimbursed
    • it must directly relate to earning your income
    • you must have a record to prove it. (See Note)

    You can only claim the work-related part of expenses. You can’t claim a deduction for any part of the expense that relates to personal use.

    Note: You can use the ATO app myDeductions tool to keep track of your expenses and receipts throughout the year.

    Car expenses

    You can claim a deduction when you:

    • drive between separate jobs on the same day – for example, travelling from your first job as a teacher directly to your second job as a musician
    • drive to and from an alternate workplace for the same employer on the same day – for example, driving from your school to another school to moderate exam results.

    You generally can’t claim the cost of normal trips between home and work, even if you live a long way from your usual workplace or have to work outside normal business hours – for example, parent-teacher interviews.

    In limited circumstances you can claim the cost of trips between home and work, where you carry bulky tools or equipment for work and all of the following conditions were met:

    • the tools or equipment are essential to perform your employment duties and you don’t carry them merely as a matter of choice
    • the tools or equipment are bulky – meaning that because of the size and weight they are awkward to transport and can only be transported conveniently by the use of a motor vehicle
    • there is no secure storage for such items at the workplace.

    If you claim car expenses, you need to keep a logbook to determine the work related percentage, or be able to demonstrate to the ATO a reasonable calculation if you use the cents per kilometre method to claim.

    Clothing expenses

    You can claim a deduction for the cost of buying, hiring, mending or cleaning certain uniforms that are unique and distinctive to your job, or protective clothing that your employer requires you to wear.

    You can't claim a deduction for the cost of buying or cleaning plain clothing worn at work, even If your employer tells you to wear it, and even if you only wear it for work – for example, sports clothing.

    Self-education expenses

    You can claim self-education expenses if your course relates directly to your current job – for example, a course in working with children with special needs.

    You can’t claim a deduction if your study is only related in a general way or is designed to help you get a new job. For example, you can't claim the cost of study to enable you to move from being a teacher’s aide to being a teacher.

    Home office expenses

    You can claim a percentage of the running costs of your home office if you have to work from home, including depreciation for office equipment, work-related phone calls and internet access charges, and electricity for heating, cooling and lighting costs.

    If you are required to purchase equipment for your work and it costs more than $300, you can claim a deduction for this cost spread over a number of years (depreciation).

    You generally can’t claim the cost of rates, mortgage interest, rent and insurance

    Other common deductable work-related expenses

    As long as the expense relates to your employment, you can claim a deduction for the work-related portion of the cost of:

    • phone and internet usage
    • excursions, school trips and camps
    • first aid courses
    • seminars and conferences
    • protective equipment such as sunglasses, sunhat and sunscreen
    • teaching aids
    • technical or professional publications
    • union and professional association fees.

    You can’t claim a deduction for the cost of:

    • gifts you purchased for students
    • meeting students’ personal expenses – for example, paying for lunch, excursions or school books.

    See also

    Return to

      Last modified: 15 Oct 2021QC 59240