Cancel tax types
The following tax types are eligible for cancellation where the tax type has a status of active (ACT), inactive (INA), or non-reporting (NRP):
- income tax (PAYG) withholding (ITW)
- luxury car tax (LCT)
- wine equalisation tax (WET).
The following excise benefits schemes are eligible for cancellation where the tax type has a status of active (ACT):
- energy grants credit scheme (EGCS)
- product stewardship for oil program (PSO)
- cleaner fuels grant scheme (CFGS)
- fuel tax credit (FTC)
- fuel sales grant scheme (FSGS).
Where to start
On the portal home page:
- enter your client's Australian business number (ABN) or tax file number (TFN) under Your clients
- select Client details from the drop-down menu.
- select Registrations to view details and cancel a tax type.
Alternatively, you can use the Directory to find your client and navigate to the Registrations screen.
When cancelling a tax type, it is important to note:
- the Cancel tax type button will only display where tax types are eligible for cancellation
- you cannot cancel an ABN using the portal
- the fuel tax credit (FTC) tax type can be cancelled by itself, but FTC must be cancelled if GST is cancelled.
Cancelling a tax type using the portal will update records immediately.
Log in to the Tax Agent PortalYou can cancel specific tax types or excise benefits schemes for your clients using the portal.