Notice of assessment
You can view, save and print copies of income tax notices of assessment in the portal.
To access the Assessment notice – income tax function, standard AUSkey users must have been given permission to View accounts through Access Manager.
- be for your individual clients
- have an issue date of February 2010 or later.
It is possible to access notices back to 2004–05, as long as the issue date is February 2010 or later.
When you access a client's list of notices of assessment, you will also be able to distinguish between different types of notices:
- Income tax amendment initiated by client – requested by you, a previous tax agent or your client
- ATO initiated amended assessment
- ATO default assessment.
Legal status of the electronic notice of assessment
The notices of assessment available through the portal are copies provided for information only. They may be useful when you acquire a new client, or an existing client needs to amend a previous assessment.
The copies cannot be used to make payments at Australia Post. If your client needs a barcode to make a payment, see Payment options.
Client copies of notices of assessment
Clients who lodge their return electronically will receive their notice of assessment via their myGov Inbox. You will be able to view a copy through the portal.
Clients who lodge their return via mail will receive a paper notice of assessment via the income tax postal address we have recorded for them. This should be received within 14 calendar days after the expected date of issue.
Where to start
On the portal home page:
- enter your client's Australian business number (ABN) or tax file number (TFN) under Your clients
- select Assessment notice - income tax from the drop-down menu
- select Search.
Alternatively, you can use the Directory to find your client and navigate to the Notice of assessment screen.
View, save and print
To view and print notices of assessment, you will need to have PDF-viewer software installed on your computer.
To view a notice of assessment:
- Select the relevant link in the Assessment Type column
- a box will appear where you can select Open or Save
- select Open to view in Portable Document Format (PDF) in a new browser window.
- The Assessment Notice - Income Tax screen displays a maximum of 20 assessment notices.
- If further notices of assessment are available, they can be viewed by using the Next and Previous links at the bottom of the screen.
- Multiple notices of assessment can be displayed in separate browser windows at the same time.
Notices of assessment can also be saved to your computer or printed using your PDF-viewer software.
Find out more:
Notice of assessment not available
An error message will display on screen where:
- no notices of assessment are available via the portal for the selected client
- the selected notice of assessment cannot be displayed at the current time.
To get a copy of a notice of assessment phone us on 13 72 86 Fast Key Code 1 2 5 2.
If you use special software as an accessibility aid for web browsing, and have trouble reading the notice of assessment with your software applications, you can obtain a printed copy or confirm details by phoning us on 13 72 86 Fast Key Code 1 2 5 2.
Log in to the Tax Agent PortalThe portal allows you to view, save and print copies of your individual clients' income tax notices of assessment.