Show download pdf controls
  • Visit us

    We provide a range of face-to-face service options across the country for the community to help with their tax and super enquiries.

    On this page:

    Face-to-face services during COVID-19

    Due to physical distancing restrictions and ongoing precautions as a result of COVID-19, there are limited face-to-face services in Services Australia service centres.

    ATO staff are unable to assist in the self-service areas due to physical distancing requirements.

    Long wait times are expected due to limited entry and limited access to self-service terminals.

    We encourage you to phone us instead as there will be limited face-to-face assistance available. You can also find helpful information on this page.

    Note: Since 5 August 2020, there have been no ATO staff on site at the Dandenong, Footscray and Geelong Service Australia services see Access to ATO staff in service centres.

    Common enquiries and information

    Information to answer some of our most common enquiries follows:

    If you can't find the answer to your query online, you can phone us on the numbers listed on our Contact us page.

    Access to ATO staff in service centres

    Our service centres are located in Services Australia service centres and are open during our usual business hours:

    • Services Australia may need to control the flow of customers into a service centre – they have introduced distancing measures and display important health information about COVID-19 along with reminders about good hygiene.
    • We may need to change our business hours or temporarily reduce our staffed sites.
    • Appointments are not available at any service centre until further notice.
    • ATO staff are unable to assist in the self-service areas during COVID-19 due to physical distancing requirements.
    • Dandenong, Footscray and Geelong Services Australia services centres have not been staffed by ATO staff since 5 August 2020, until further notice due to additional COVID-19 lockdown restrictions in Victoria – for ATO services you'll need to use our online services or contact us instead.

    Our support staff are available from Monday to Friday in the following service centres:

    Our support staff are available on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the following service centres:

    Our support staff are available on Tuesdays at the following service centre:

    Paper lodgments and products

    Post your paper lodgments or documents to us at the address provided on the publication, or refer to our list of ATO postal addresses for more information.

    You can access a range of publications on our website, order ATO publications online, or phone our publications ordering service on 1300 720 092.

    If you would like to speak in a language other than English, phone the Translating and Interpreting service (TIS National) on 13 14 50 and ask to be connected to the ATO in your preferred language.

    Tax Help program

    We also offer access to a network of ATO-trained and accredited community volunteers who provide a free and confidential service to help people complete their tax returns online using myTax.

    If you need help lodging your tax return, you may be eligible for the Tax Help program.

    If our volunteers work out that you don’t need to lodge a tax return, they can help you complete a non-lodgment advice.

    Eligibility for Tax Help

    You are eligible for Tax Help if your income is around $60,000 or less for the income year, and you didn’t:

    • work as a contractor, for example, a contract cleaner or taxi driver
    • run a business, including as a sole trader
    • receive payments for labour hire (or other specified payment)
    • have partnership or trust matters
    • sell shares or an investment property
    • own a rental property
    • have capital gains tax (CGT)
    • receive royalties
    • receive distributions from a trust, other than a managed fund
    • receive foreign income, other than a foreign pension or annuity.

    Book a Tax Help appointment

    Volunteers can help you to:

    • lodge your tax return
    • lodge an amendment online
    • claim a refund of franking credits
    • complete a non-lodgment advice (if they find that you do not need to lodge a tax return).

    When you are ready to make an appointment, phone us on 13 28 61 for your nearest Tax Help centre.

    Next step:

    Last modified: 11 Sep 2020QC 33518