Self–managed super fund statistical report – June 2013
We publish regular statistical reports for the self–managed super fund (SMSF) market. The contents of this report have been worked out following valuable feedback from the superannuation industry.
The information in this report includes:
- SMSF population and asset allocation tables
- population of SMSFs and members
- asset allocation (break–up of assets into various classes).
- Annual SMSF population analysis tables
- asset allocation by asset value of the fund
- membership sizes (SMSFs with one, two, three or four members)
- demographics (state break–up of SMSFs, members and assets)
- member demographics (age and income of members)
- total asset ranges (distribution of the size of SMSFs)
- average and median assets (per member and per SMSF)
- flow of funds (contributions, transfers, benefits and expenses).
- SMSF quarterly establishment tables
- demographics (state break up of SMSFs)
- member demographics (age of new members)
- member demographics (income range of new members).
It is worth noting that most of the information in this report is estimated, and caution should be taken when using or presenting this data. The estimates have been based on the data provided by SMSFs reporting their financial position as at 30 June of the relevant financial year.
The SMSF population and asset allocation tables are updated on a quarterly basis. The next report will cover the period up to 30 September 2013 and should be available in November 2013. The remainder of the tables are updated annually when the June quarter updates are published.
- Email us at SPR_smsfstats@ato.gov.au – If you would like to provide comments or have enquiries about this report. This email address is only for comments and questions about published SMSF data.
Statistics explanatory notes
Much of the information in the statistical tables is estimated, based on data reported to us. Caution should be taken when using or presenting this data. The estimates have been based on data provided by SMSFs reporting their financial position as at 30 June of the relevant financial year.
To view the methodology we use to produce the SMSF statistics, refer to Self–managed super fund quarterly statistics methodology.
Rounding of figures may cause minor discrepancies to totals.
The SMSF population, asset allocation and establishment tables are updated on a quarterly basis, with the remainder of the tables updated annually when the June quarter updates are published.
Quarterly reports (as at the end of March, June, September and December each year) will generally be published between one to two months after the end of the quarter.
From the June 2013 report, the 2011–12 annual return data has been incorporated into our estimation model – as a result, the estimates are a more accurate reflection of SMSF asset holdings.
In addition, the following improvements were made to this report:
- the asset allocation tables now includes borrowings, other liabilities and total net Australian and overseas assets amounts.
- a number of tables no longer report historical data from before 2008 – to view all data from before 2008, refer to Self–managed super fund statistical report – June 2012.
On 19 December 2012, we released Self–managed superannuation funds – A statistical overview 2010–11. Because the overview is based on historical data, it will differ from the more recent data in this June 2013 quarter SMSF statistical report. The statistical overview incorporating 2011–12 data is expected to be released in December 2013.