Lodging an Australian tax return

To lodge a tax return in Australia, you will need a tax file number (TFN) - refer to Tax file number and income tax obligations.

You may also need an Australian business number (ABN). ABN essentials provides detailed information about all aspects of ABNs.

Partnerships, companies and trusts need their own TFN. You can apply for a TFN at the same time as an ABN, using the same application form. To apply, refer to the Australian Business Register.

    Last modified: 09 Aug 2012QC 18324