ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Notifying us of changes

You must notify us if your organisation experiences changes in circumstances, such as changes to personnel, structure and activities, or you may have to end your organisation. You need to know how to notify us of these changes.

Last updated 28 March 2021

You must notify us about several changes in circumstances, including changes to structure and activities, key personnel, or if you are ending your organisation.

You should tell us about any changes to your:

  • entity name or registered business name (registered with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission)
  • authorised contact person
  • financial institution account details.

You must tell us in writing if your organisation is no longer entitled to endorsement as a tax concession charity or as a deductible gift recipient. You must do this before, or as soon as possible after, the entitlement ends.

You're required by law to tell the Registrar of the Australian Business Register within 28 days of any changes in your registered details, including:

  • postal, email or business address
  • associates
  • main business activity
  • Australian Company Number (ACN) or Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN)
  • public officer
  • name of trustees.

We suggest including an agenda item to update the register in your annual general meeting.

You should also update your details with other agencies or organisations you deal with, including if you end your organisation.

See also:

How to notify us

You can notify us of changes online, by phone or on paper as outlined below.


You can update some details online by the:

  • Australian Business Register at Link
  • Online services for business.
  • Online services for agents.

Information you can update includes postal, email, business addresses, contacts and financial institution details. Your registered tax or BAS agent must ensure their registered agent number is recorded against your record before they can update your details.

Next step:


You can notify us of changes by phoning us on 1300 130 248 between 8.00am and 6.00pm, Monday to Friday.

Proof of record ownership requirements

If you contact us by phone, we will need to confirm that you have the right to access information about the organisation you are asking about. This is a two-step process:

  • Step 1: We will ask for your name, tax file number (TFN) or Australian business number (ABN). This allows us to locate your tax record. We will then ask you to provide three items of proof that related to you as an individual that can be verified in our systems.
  • Step 2: We will then establish your authority to access the information on the organisation’s record. Our records must show you are an authorised contact of the organisation.

What we accept as items of proof

Items of proof include:

  • address details – either    
    • one only of business, residential, postal or email address
    • phone number
  • financial institution account number – not the BSB
  • details from a letter or notice generated by us (the ATO) and issued in the last five years, including    
    • a notice of assessment sequence number
    • an activity statement document identification number (DIN)
    • a correspondence reference number
    • the date and name or title of an ATO-generated letter or notice that may or may not have a unique identification number, but can be confirmed in our systems.

A maximum of two of the three items of identifying information can be details from ATO notices – with a maximum of one item of proof from each notice. If no notices have been generated, other specific information includes, but is not limited to:

  • account details – income tax or client account centre    
    • the balance – not including nil balances
    • the amount of interest imposed – general interest charge or shortfall interest charge
    • the amount of refund
    • the date and amount of payment made
    • the amount and frequency of a payment arrangement
    • the instalment amount or rate
  • amounts recorded on an activity statement where the organisation is registered for goods and services tax (GST).

We will only disclose information, and process an amendment to your registration over the phone, if you can meet both steps of the proof of record ownership requirements.

Paper form

You can notify us of changes by completing the Change of registration details form (NAT 2943) and posting it to us at the address on the back of the form. A person authorised to act on behalf of your organisation must complete the form.

Next steps:

You can order a paper copy of this form: