There are new rules that apply to eligible demergers that happen on or after 1 July 2002. The following demergers are subject to these new rules – you will find specific details in appendix 4:
- BHP Billiton Ltd demerger of BHP Steel Ltd (now known as BlueScope)
- WMC Ltd (renamed Alumina) demerger of WMC Resources Ltd
- Sonic Healthcare Ltd demerger of SciGen Ltd
- CSR Ltd demerger of Rinker Group Ltd, and
- Mincor Resources NL demerger of Tethyan Copper Company Ltd.
The AMP demerger is not subject to the new rules.
In addition, there were a number of demergers that happened before 1 July 2002. These demergers also have different tax consequences for shareholders – some of these demergers are covered in appendix 4.