For up-to-date and comprehensive information about deductions and to download publications, rulings and general tax information, visit www.ato.gov.au
Publications referred to in this guide are:
- General value shifting regime – who it affects
- Guide to capital gains tax 2005–06 (NAT 4151-6.2006)
- Guide to capital gains tax concessions for small business 2005–06 (NAT 8384)
- Shares, units and similar investments
- You and your shares 2005–06 (NAT 2632-6.2006)
- Fact sheets listed in appendix 1.
We can offer a more personalised service if you provide a tax file number.
- Personal tax 13 28 61
Individual income tax and general personal tax enquiries, including capital gains tax
- Business 13 28 66
General business tax enquiries including capital gains tax, GST rulings, Australian business number (ABN), pay as you go (PAYG) instalments, business deductions, activity statements (including lodgment and payment), accounts and business registration (including Australian business number and tax file number), dividend and royalty withholding tax
- Superannuation 13 10 20
Reader feedback helps us to improve the information we provide. If you have any feedback about this publication, please write to:
Personal Tax Editor
Marketing and Education - Paper Publishing
Australian Taxation Office
PO Box 900
CIVIC SQUARE ACT 2608
As this is a publications area only, any tax matters will be passed on to a technical area; alternatively, you can phone our Personal Tax Infoline on 13 28 61 for help.
- Translating and Interpreting Service 13 14 50
If you do not speak English well and want to talk to a tax officer, phone the Translating and Interpreting Service for help with your call.
- National Relay Service 13 36 77
If you have a hearing or speech impairment and use a TTY or modem, phone the National Relay Service. For 1800 free call numbers phone 1800 555 677 and quote the number you require.
- Speech to Speech Relay Service 1300 555 727
If you have a speech impairment and do not use a TTY or modem, phone the Speech to Speech Relay Service. For 1800 free call numbers phone 1800 555 727 and quote the number you require.
Lodge online with e-tax
Looking for an easy and convenient way to do your tax return? Try e-tax - available free from the Tax Office website at www.ato.gov.au
You can use e-tax to:
- prepare your tax return electronically in a secure online environment
- calculate items such as your net capital gain
- work out your tax refund or tax debt.
e-tax is available from 1 July 2006.
Tax returns lodged using e-tax are usually processed within 14 days.
For more information, visit our website at www.ato.gov.au