Copies of this publication
This publication can be downloaded in Portable Document Format (PDF): download the Personal investors guide to capital gains tax 2006-07 [839KB].
The Personal investors guide to capital gains tax 2007 explains the capital gains tax consequences of:
- the sale or gift (or other disposal) of shares or units
- the receipt of distributions of capital gains from managed funds, and
- the receipt of non-assessable payments from companies or managed funds.
Who should use this guide?
Who should not use this guide?
Do not use this guide if you are an investor who is not a resident of Australia or if you have gains or losses included as part of your income under other provisions of the tax law - for example, if you are carrying on a business of share trading.
The guide does not explain more complex issues relating to shares (including employee shares), convertible notes and units. Nor does it apply to shares and units owned by companies, trusts and superannuation funds.
Also, this guide does not cover your capital gains tax consequences when you sell other assets such as:
- a rental property
- collectables (for example, jewellery, art, antiques and collections), and
- assets for personal use (for example, a boat you use for recreation).
For these, see the Guide to capital gains tax 2007 (NAT 4151-6.2007).
Publications and services
To find out how to get a publication referred to in this guide and for information about our other services, More information.
Some of the terms used in this guide may be new to you. Specific terms are shown in red when first used and are explained in Definitions in appendix 3.