ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Completing your application

Last updated 5 March 2020

The instructions that follow will take you through each part of the application. Download Application for refund of franking credits for individuals 2004-05 (PDF, 439KB)This link will download a file here and start with item 1.

Item 1  Your tax file number (TFN)

Write your TFN on page 1 of your application. If you are not sure of your TFN or need to apply for one, phone us on 13 28 61.

Item 2  Were you an Australian resident for the whole income year?

You must be an Australian resident for tax purposes for the whole period 1 July 2004 to 30 June 2005 to apply for a refund of franking credits.

The standards we use to determine your residency status are not the same as those used by the Department of Immigration and Multicultural and Indigenous Affairs. Generally, if you have always lived in Australia or you have come to Australia to live permanently, we consider you to be a resident for tax purposes.

If you need help in deciding whether or not you are an Australian resident for tax purposes use our 'Are you a resident' tool on our website or phone us on 13 28 61.

Items 3 to 9  Personal details

Please complete all these items accurately to avoid delays in processing.

Note: If you want to lodge by phone, the name and address details we have for you must be current. If anything has changed or you are unsure what details you last gave us, phone us on 13 28 61 to update or check the details before you lodge the application for a refund.

Item 10  Do you want your refund paid directly into your financial institution account?

By using electronic funds transfer (EFT) the Tax Office can deposit your refund directly into an Australian bank, credit union or building society account of your choice. EFT gives you quicker access to your money. Direct deposit is not available on the full range of accounts. If you are in doubt, check with your financial institution. If you would like to use EFT, print X in the Yes box.

Write the following information on your application:

  • The bank state branch (BSB) number. This is a six-digit number that identifies the financial institution. The BSB number can be found on your account statement or cheque form.
  • Your account number as shown on account records. Your account statement, cheque book or other document from your financial institution will show this information.
  • Your account name - also called 'account title' - as shown on your account records. Include a space between each word and between any initials in your account name.

Note: If you want to lodge by phone and use EFT, we must have your current account details. To update or provide new EFT details, you must notify us in writing. If you are unsure what details are on file, phone us on 13 28 61.

If you printed X in the No box, a cheque will be sent to your postal address.

Item 11  Dividends

If you received a distribution statement from a managed fund or received Australian franking credits from a New Zealand company, print X in the Yes box.

At S, T, U and V show the amount of:

  • unfranked and franked dividends you received
  • franking credits
  • TFN amounts withheld or deducted (if applicable).

Your dividend or distribution statement should show these amounts.

Note: TFN amounts are only withheld if you did not provide your tax file number to the investment body.

A dividend statement from a New Zealand company will show the amount of Australian franking credits (if any) you can claim.

You can use the worksheet on the next page to help you calculate the amounts to show at item 11.

Total dividend income

Add up the amounts shown at S, T and U on your application and write the total at $ TOTAL DIVIDEND INCOME.

Note: If you are over 18 years of age on 30 June 2005 and your total dividend amount is more than $6,000, or you are under 18 years of age on 30 June 2005 and the total dividend amount is more than $416, you cannot use this application. You will need to lodge a tax return to claim your refund.

Your declaration

Read, sign and date Your declaration on page 2 of the application.