ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Contact us

Last updated 6 November 2014

You can ring the Australian Taxation Office

You can ring the Tax Office if you need assistance with a question in TaxPack, including the supplement, or another matter concerning your tax affairs. If you decide to ring us, please have your TaxPack or supplement handy. Refer to the contacts below for addresses and telephone contact numbers.

You can ask for a taxation ruling

If you have a complex enquiry about your tax affairs, you may want to ask for a private ruling.

To do this, complete an Application for a private ruling for individuals.

A private ruling relates only to your particular situation. Your tax return should reflect what the private ruling says. You may need to change your tax return if you lodge it before you receive your private ruling.

The Tax Office publishes on its Internet site all private rulings issued. What we publish will not contain anything which could identify you.

You can ask for a review of your private ruling if you disagree with it even if you have not yet received your assessment. You can find out more about objection procedures from the Tax Office branch that made your ruling.

Binding Oral Advice

The Tax Office now provides a service called Binding Oral Advice-oral rulings on simple enquiries where your tax affairs are considered simple in nature.

You can request an oral ruling by phone or in person. To do so you will need to confirm your identity. Your tax file number and most recent notice of assessment will usually be sufficient proof of identity.

We will confirm your eligibility for an oral ruling by asking you a series of questions to confirm that your enquiry and tax affairs are simple.

To get further information on Binding Oral Advice, or to apply for a ruling, ring the Personal Tax Infoline on 13 28 61.