ato logo

Taxation implications

Last updated 26 July 2004

If you are paid or credited dividends, or non-share dividends, you are required to include the following amounts in assessable income on your tax return:

  • the unfranked amount
  • the franked amount
  • the imputation/ franking credit.

Below we show you how John would complete item 11 on his tax return, using the figures in the example.

You can see on the COALS TYER statement that John had no TFN amount withheld from the dividends he was paid or credited. Where a resident shareholder does not provide an Australian company with their TFN, the company is required to deduct tax from the unfranked amount of any dividend at the highest income tax rate for individuals (47%) plus Medicare levy (1.5%)-a total rate for 2002-03 of 48.5%. As John advised COALS TYER Ltd of his TFN, no TFN amount was withheld.

If John had not advised COALS TYER Ltd of his TFN, a TFN amount would have been withheld from the unfranked amount of the dividend and shown by John on his tax return at V item 11. A credit for the TFN amount withheld would then be allowed in John's tax assessment.

If John received more than one dividend statement during the income year, he would need to show the total amounts at S, T, U and V (if applicable) item 11 on his 2002-03 tax return.