This information may not apply to the current year. Check the content carefully to ensure it is applicable to your circumstances.
End of attention
- for general tax information and to download publications and rulings, visit www.ato.gov.au
- Phone lodgment 13 28 65
Lodge your application for refund of franking credits by phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Progress of refunds 13 28 65
Check the progress of your refund of franking credits. This is an automated self-help service available 24 hours a day, every day. You will need to key in your tax file number (TFN) using your phone keypad.
If you sent your application by ordinary post, wait seven weeks before phoning to check on the progress of your application.
If you lodged your application by phone, wait three weeks before phoning.
- Personal tax 13 28 61
Individual income tax and general personal tax enquiries, including:
- questions about refund of franking credits
- enquiries about your tax file number (TFN)
- whether you need to lodge a tax return
- requests for extra copies of the application for refund of franking credits, and
- whether you are an Australian resident for tax purposes.
- Business 13 28 66
General business tax enquiries including capital gains tax, GST rulings, Australian business number (ABN), pay as you go (PAYG) instalments, business deductions, activity statements (including lodgment and payment), accounts and business registration (including ABN and TFN), dividend and royalty withholding tax.
- Superannuation 13 10 20
- Fax 13 28 60
Get information faxed to you about individual taxes. Follow the instructions to order information to be faxed to you.
- Translating and Interpreting Service 13 14 50
If you do not speak English well and want to talk to a tax officer, phone the Translating and interpreting service for help with your call.
- Hearing or speech impairment
If you are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment, you can phone the Tax office through the National Relay Service:
- If you are a TTY or modem user, phone 13 36 77 and ask for the number you want. For 1800 free call numbers, phone 1800 555 677 and ask for the number you want.
- If you are a voice-only (speak and listen) user, phone 1300 555 727 and ask for the number you want. For 1800 free call numbers, phone 1800 555 727 and ask for the number you want.
Tax Help is a free and confidential service for people on low incomes. People who use Tax Help include seniors, people from non-English speaking backgrounds, people with a disability, aboriginal people, Torres strait islander people, and students.
We train and support this network of community volunteers to help you.
If you need assistance with completing your application, there are Tax Help centres throughout Australia. If you want to visit one of the trained volunteers, you need to make an appointment first. When you visit, you will need to bring:
For more information or to find out where your nearest Tax Help centre is, phone us on 13 28 61.
Reader feedback helps us to improve the information we provide. if you have any feedback about this publication, write to:
Publishing Coordination Marketing and Education
Micro Enterprises and Individuals
Australian Taxation Office
PO Box 900
CIVIC SQUARE ACT 2608
As this is a publications area only, any tax matters will be passed on to a technical area. Alternatively, you can phone our Personal Infoline on 13 28 61 for help.
If you do not speak English well and need help from the Tax Office, phone the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 13 14 50. TIS staff can assist with interpreting in over 120 languages.
Last modified: 28 Jun 2007QC 27903