Show download pdf controls
  • Tax time

    Tax time runs from July to October each year. It's when most people need to lodge a tax return. If you're working, you will receive your end of financial year information (also known as a payment summary or income statement) depending on how your employer reports your income, tax and superannuation information to us – this has information you need to do your tax return.

    Your tax return

    If you've been working, running a business, or receiving Centrelink payments (or other government payments), you need to lodge a tax return.

    A tax return tells us how much money you earned and how much tax you paid during the financial year (1 July to 30 June). You need to lodge your tax return by 31 October. If you don’t lodge on time, you may have to pay a penalty. If you've paid too much tax, lodging a tax return is the way to a refund.

    For each employer you have during the year, you need to have a payment summary or income statement from each of them.

    If you're unsure if you need to lodge a tax return or if you're having issues lodging your tax return, phone the Indigenous helpline on 13 10 30 or get help from one of our Tax Help volunteers.

    Next steps:

    See also:

    Last modified: 14 Nov 2019QC 47734