• Attention

    We’re currently updating this page to make it easier for you to find the information you need. During this time, you might find some links are broken. We’re working to resolve these and any other issues as quickly as possible. Thank you for your patience.

    End of attention

    Water entitlement reduction or replacement: CGT rollover

    You may be able to obtain capital gains tax (CGT) rollover for a water entitlement when you:

    • replace your water entitlement, including by transformation
    • reduce your water entitlements.

    Transformation is the process by which an irrigator permanently changes their rights to water against an irrigation infrastructure operator (operator) into a statutory licence held by an entity other than the operator.

    If your water entitlement was replaced or reduced between 1 July 2005 and 7 December 2010, you can choose to amend your income tax return for the year you reported the gain. See Water entitlements before 7 December 2010.

    What is a water entitlement?

    A water entitlement is any legal or equitable right owned by an entity that relates to water, including groundwater. They could be rights to:

    • receive water
    • take water from a water resource
    • have water delivered
    • deliver water.

    Examples of water entitlements include:

    • water allocations
    • water use licence
    • rights relating to conveyance of water, such as a conveyance licence
    • irrigation rights
    • contractual right against a third party, such as an operator
    • a statutory licence against a state or territory government
    • a share in a company if it has rights attaching to it that relate to water
    • an interest in a trust or partnership, if the interest has rights to water attached to it.

    Find out about:

      Last modified: 24 Aug 2016QC 24125