Show download pdf controls
  • Relationship breakdown

    Normally capital gains tax (CGT) applies to any change of ownership of an asset. However, if you transfer an asset to your spouse because of the breakdown of your marriage or relationship, you may be eligible for a rollover of the asset.

    'Rollover' means the transferor spouse disregards the capital gain or loss that would otherwise arise. In effect, the person who receives the asset (the transferee spouse) will make the capital gain or loss when they subsequently dispose of the asset. The cost base of the asset is also transferred to the transferee spouse.

    Generally the rollover applies if:

    • ownership of an asset, or a share in a jointly-owned asset, is transferred between you and your spouse, or from a company or trust to one of you
    • the transfer of ownership is because of a court order, formal agreement such as a binding financial agreement or award.

    You can't choose whether or not the rollover applies.

    Find out about:

    Last modified: 01 Jul 2020QC 52251