• Division 815 Technical working group Minutes – 31 July 2014

    Meeting details

    Venue:

    747 Collins St Melbourne

     

     

    Date:

    31 July 2014

     

     

    Start:

    10.00am

    Finish:

    1.00pm

    Chair:

    Michael Jenkins

    Facilitator:

    Caroline Briers

    Contact and Secretariat:

    Caroline Briers

    Contact phone:

    (03) 9285 1502

    Attendees

    ATO Members

     

    Michael Jenkins

    Assistant Commissioner, Public Groups and International

    Caroline Briers

    Secretariat

    Michael McCormack

    Senior Tax Counsel

    Kevin O'Shaughnessy

    Senior Director, Technical Leadership Group

    Andrew Peake (via phone)

    Senior Director, Technical Leadership Group

    Gus Falkenhagen

    Senior Director, Profit Shifting Practice (Project Manager)

    External representatives

    Reynah Tang

    LCA

    Soulla McFall

    CPAA

    Vanda Davis

    FCAI

    Damian Preshaw

    TIA

    Anthony Seve (via phone)

    ICAA

    Richard Atkinson (for Michelle DeNiese)

    CTA

    Sharon Jansen

    MCA

    Stuart Edwards

    ATO appointee

    Denise Honey

    ATO appointee

    Michael Kobetsky

    ATO appointee

    Apologies

    Chris Bowman

    ATO appointee

    Michelle DeNiese

    CTA

    Agenda items

    Disclaimer

    Division 815 Technical working group agendas, minutes and related papers are not binding on the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) or any of the other bodies referred to in these papers. While every effort is made to accurately record views expressed, the wording necessarily represents a summary of statements of general position only, and care should be taken in interpreting those statements. These papers reflect the position at the date of release (unless otherwise noted) and readers should note that the position on any issue may subsequently change.

    1. Introduction and welcome

    The Chair welcomed the group and introduced Michael Kobetsky who had joined the group for the first time.

    2. Minutes of 3 July meeting

    Minutes were accepted. May minutes are available on website.

    3. Simplification options – recap and update

    The ATO advised:

    • Work is progressing; the draft document has been distributed widely for consultation and feedback, with responses due by 8 August.
    • It is intended that the final product will be released with the documentation package.
    • The definition of economic group hasn't been codified at this time.
    • Members are encouraged to provide input by 8 August.

    4. Future areas of focus

    The ATO advised:

    • Next area of focus the ATO is considering is an interpretive product on consequential adjustments.
    • It is not intended at this point that arbitration will be considered as part of this as it doesn't relate to the interpretation of 815-145.
    • Members are invited to provide submissions on other priorities for consideration and are requested to detail reasons to support priority.
    • ATO will need to balance this within time and resource constraints.

    Members considered that it would be beneficial to get a holistic framework of the ATO view of the law. CTA will consider this and provide a submission.

    Action Item number

    31072014.01

    Action item name

    Submission on priority for future work

    Responsibility

    CTA

    Status

    Open

    Expected delivery date

    August 2014

    5. Discussion – TR2014/D3

    The ATO provided the draft compendium prior to the meeting with feedback from members suggesting discussion focus on:

    • economic substance
    • interaction between basic rule and exceptions
    • congruence with OECD guidance
    • specific issue: thin capitalisation and 815-140.

    Discussion was held on these issues with feedback received from the authoring team and working party members that they felt the discussion was beneficial to their understanding of each other's positions.

    6. Other business

    Member raised the issue of how the new rules apply to arrangements already entered into prior to the enactment of the legislation.

    The ATO advised that the issue will be taken under consideration regarding the best way to address this.

    Action Item number

    31072014.02

    Action item name

    Application of 815-B to arrangements entered into prior to enactment

    Responsibility

    Michael McCormack

    Status

    Open

    Expected delivery date

    September meeting

    Next meeting

    The next meeting is scheduled for 25 August 2014 to discuss TR2014/D4.

      Last modified: 10 Sep 2014QC 42345