Correct a mistake or amend a return

If you realise you've made a mistake, or left something out, in the information you've given us in a tax or super return or statement, you can request an amendment.

You may need to correct the information you reported to us for a variety of reasons –because you made a mistake in entering a figure, failed to report some income, a gain or a deduction, incorrectly claimed deductions, or the circumstances changed in relation to something you reported after you lodged a return.

Whatever the reason, you should correct any error as quickly as possible. In some cases, there are legal time limits to making adjustments. And the longer you leave it, the greater the possible consequences in terms of interest and penalties you may have to pay.

Find out about:

Last modified: 03 Feb 2016QC 33884