Fringe benefits tax (FBT) returns
If you realise you've made a mistake on your fringe benefits tax (FBT) return, you can:
- lodge an amended return electronically, using Standard Business Reporting (SBR)-enabled software
- request an amended assessment, in writing, as soon as possible. You can send your request via the Business PortalExternal Link or by post
- alternatively, your registered tax agent can submit your request.
An amendment can generally be made only within three years from the date the FBT return was lodged.
An employee who needs to correct the amount of 'reportable fringe benefits' shown on their individual tax return should request an amendment to their tax assessment.
What to include in your request
Include the following information in your request for an amendment:
- name and tax file number (TFN) of employer
- name, postal address and contact number of person we can contact about this request
- FBT year the mistake relates to
- reason for the amendment and sufficient information about the changes to the taxable values of the affected benefits
- exact adjustment to each benefit category, including the corrected taxable values
- whether the benefits are type 1 or type 2
- amended fringe benefits taxable amount
- a signed and dated declaration as follows
- I declare that all the information I have given in this letter, including any attachments, is true and correct.
- your signature
- the date.
Tax file number
We are authorised by the Taxation Administration Act 1953 to collect your tax file number (TFN). You are not required by law to provide your TFN; however, providing it reduces the risk of administrative errors that could delay the processing of your return.
Where to send your request
You can send your request to us either:
Australian Taxation Office
PO Box 3004
PENRITH NSW 2740
If you've made a mistake on your FBT return, you can request an amended assessment.