• 11.12 Difference between a living-away-from-home allowance and a travelling allowance

    It is important to determine whether an allowance paid by you to your employee is a LAFHA or a travelling allowance, because they have different tax treatments. LAFHAs are a fringe benefit, whereas travelling allowances are part of the employee’s assessable income and are not fringe benefits.

    The following table sets out some of the indicators of whether the allowance is a LAFHA or travelling allowance:

    Living-away-from-home allowances

    Travelling allowances

    This is paid where an employee has taken up temporary residence away from their usual place of residence in order to carry out duties at a new, but temporary, workplace.

    This is paid because an employee is travelling in the course of performing their job.

    There is a change of job location in relation to paying the allowance.

    There is no change of job location in relation to paying the allowance.

    Where an employee is living away from home, it is more common for that employee to be accompanied by their spouse and family.

    Where an employee is travelling, they are generally not accompanied by their spouse and family.

    They are paid for longer periods.

    They are paid for short periods.

    The indicators above are guidelines only and no single indicator determines the nature of the allowance received – for example, a travelling allowance might be paid to a commercial traveller, or travelling entertainer almost continuously, whereas another employee may receive a LAFHA for only a month or so.

    There may be circumstances when an employee is away from their home base for a brief period in which it may be difficult to determine whether the employee is living away from home or travelling. As a practical general rule, where the period away does not exceed 21 days, the allowance will be treated as a travelling allowance rather than a LAFHA.

      Last modified: 16 May 2017QC 17825