You can lodge your fringe benefits tax (FBT) return:
- electronically, using Standard Business Reporting (SBR)-enabled software
- through your tax agent
- by post.
You need to show on your FBT return:
- the amount of FBT you have to pay
- the different types of fringe benefits you provided
- the total employee contributions for some benefit types
- the total taxable value of each benefit type.
You must lodge your FBT return with us no later than 21 May (or the first business day after) each year if you have determined that you have an FBT liability, unless you are covered by a tax agent’s lodgment program.
If you had FBT instalment obligations during the FBT year and did not vary those instalments to nil, lodging an FBT return will allow us to update our records and make these credits available to you.
You don't need to lodge an FBT return if your fringe benefits taxable amount during an FBT year is nil. If you are registered for FBT but don’t need to lodge a return, complete a Fringe benefits tax – notice of non-lodgment.
Correcting FBT returns
If you realise after lodging your FBT return that you have made a mistake, request an amendment by writing to us as soon as possible.
We may amend your FBT assessment if you either:
- wrongly value or don’t disclose benefits
- request an amendment yourself (for example, because you discover you’ve overpaid or underpaid FBT).
Deferral of time to lodge
We grant deferrals of time to lodge if there are extenuating circumstances.
If you prepare and lodge your own return and need additional time to lodge phone us before the due date on 13 11 42 (8.00am–6.00pm, Mon – Fri) to discuss your situation.
There are penalties for lodging an incorrect FBT return and not lodging on time.
You can also incur substantial penalties if you provide false or misleading statements.
We impose a general interest charge on all outstanding amounts of FBT.