Show download pdf controls
  • Reportable fringe benefits – facts for employees

    If the total non-grossed-up taxable value of certain fringe benefits provided to you (or your associate if in connection with your employment) exceeds $2,000 in a fringe benefits tax (FBT) year (1 April to 31 March) you will have a reportable fringe benefits amount (RFBA).

    This will be shown on your payment summary or income statement in myGov and you need to include it in your income tax return. However, you don't:

    • include it in your total income or loss amount
    • pay income tax or Medicare levy on it.

    While not taxable, your total RFBA from all employment is taken into account in determining your eligibility for certain government benefits and concessions.

    If you lodge your tax return through a tax agent or use the myTax online return, you don't generally have to do anything as your pre-filled income tax return should include any RFBAs. These are generally reported to the ATO by employers by early August for the income year just ended.

    Find out about:

    Last modified: 29 Mar 2019QC 58427