Joint Committee of Public Accounts and Audit
In accordance with a recommendation in the Report 410: Tax Administration, we are scheduled to attend Joint Committee of Public Accounts and Audit committee hearings biannually, but appeared only once in 2010-11 because of the 2010 federal election.
During the year we responded to Recommendation 1 from the Joint Committee of Public Accounts and Audit's Report 418: Review of Auditor-General's reports numbers 04 to 38 (2009-10), in relation to complaints we received about delays caused by the implementation of our new integrated core processing system.
The committee hearing of 4 March 2011 focused on complaints, the cash economy and our role in the tax design process. We responded to 10 questions on notice. The committee released its Report 424 on 4 July 2011 in relation to its scrutiny of our activities at its 4 March 2011 hearing. The committee made nine recommendations associated with service standards, compliance, policy development and external scrutiny and review. We are implementing all recommendations. The committee also highlighted its role as an oversight body in relation to ATO governance.
In 2010-11 we attended three Senate Estimates hearings before the Senate Standing Committee on Economics.
This year we answered 213 questions on notice - a significant increase on the 116 questions on notice we answered in 2009-10. We received:
- 47 in October 2010
- 39 in February 2011
- 127 in June 2011.
The topics included the implementation of our change program, superannuation issues, ATO staff and sham contracting.
Other parliamentary committees
We also appeared before another five parliamentary committees. They included:
- Public Works Committee inquiry into the fit-out of our new leased premises at 12-26 Franklin Street, Adelaide, South Australia - appearance and submission in November 2010
- Public Works Committee inquiry into the fit-out of our new leased premises in Albury, New South Wales - submission and appearance in February 2011
- Senate Economics Reference Committee inquiry into 'Augmented tax assessments' - appearance in February 2011
- Senate Economics Legislation Committee 'Inquiry into Schedule 2 of the Tax Laws Amendment (2010 Measures No. 5) Bill 2010' - appearance in March 2011
- Senate Economics Legislation Committee 'Inquiry into Tax Laws Amendment (Temporary Flood and Cyclone Reconstruction Levy) Bill 2011' - appearance in March 2011.