Show download pdf controls
  • The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. The JobKeeper Payment scheme has been amended so we can make a JobKeeper Payment to some entities in limited circumstances after 31 March 2022.

    JobKeeper guide – employers reporting through STP

    You can create a PDF or print this guide using the buttons at the top-right of your screen.

    The JobKeeper wage subsidy is paid monthly in arrears. For example, the September payments should be claimed from us in early October.

    You must have paid your eligible employees at least the relevant JobKeeper amount for each fortnight being claimed.

    You can preview your employee list and see payment history from October onwards from the COVID-19 landing screen.

    We recognise the importance of making timely JobKeeper payments, but also remain committed to ensuring they are only made to those that are eligible.

    Find out how to enrol and get JobKeeper payments:

    Key points

    • You can enrol at any time until the program closes. You only need to enrol once.
    • If you have already enrolled for JobKeeper, you do not need to re-enrol for the JobKeeper extension. Employees do not need to complete another nomination notice.
    • You need to update payment tiers for your eligible employees through your STP payroll software for the JobKeeper extension.
    • You will need to check your actual decline in turnover for continuing eligibility from 1 October 2020 and again from 1 January 2021. Once confirmed, you will need to submit this information to us online.
    • By the 14th of each month – complete Step 3: Make a business monthly declaration to claim JobKeeper payments for the previous month.
    • You should also make any updates to your employees' eligibility (including where you will no longer be receiving JobKeeper payments) using the Maintain employees function as part of your business monthly declaration.
    • If you are not participating in the JobKeeper extension, there is no further action you need to take after your final declaration to be reimbursed for September payments.

    Before you enrol

    Check your business is eligible

    Check your business or not-for-profit organisation meets the eligibility requirements, including the decline in turnover tests.

    Check your employees are eligible

    Check your employees meet the eligibility requirements and for which JobKeeper fortnights.

    Determine the payment rate that you're eligible to claim for each of your eligible employees. You must pay your eligible employees at least the JobKeeper amount in the JobKeeper fortnight to claim the payment for that fortnight.

    If you want to claim the JobKeeper payment for employees you let go or stood down, you need to re-hire or re-engage them and pay them.

    Notify all your eligible employees that you intend to claim the JobKeeper payment on their behalf. Check with them that they are not claiming the JobKeeper payment through another employer or business.

    Send the JobKeeper employee nomination notice to all your eligible employees. They need to complete and return it to you before you claim JobKeeper payments for them.

    You can:  

    Make sure you keep the completed notices on file.

    Eligible business participant

    Consider whether you will nominate an eligible business participant. This may be a director or a shareholder of a company, a partner in a partnership or an adult beneficiary of a trust.

    Download the JobKeeper eligible business participant nomination notice (excluding sole trader) form. Ensure the eligible business participant completes the nomination notice and returns it to you. You do not need to send this form to us but you must keep it for your records.

    Check the payment rate that you are eligible to claim for the eligible business participant. If you are claiming the higher rate, your eligible business participant must have provided you with a written declaration that they spent at least 80 hours actively engaged in your business during their reference period, prior to you claiming.

    Set up your systems

    To use the Business Portal, you will need a myGovID linked to your ABN in Relationship Authorisation Manager (RAM). You can find out how to set this up at Accessing online services with myGovID and RAM.

    If you are having trouble linking your myGovID, see:

    Get advice if you need it

    Get advice from your registered tax or BAS agent if you need help. They can enrol, identify and declare for JobKeeper on your behalf using Online service for agents.

    If you find it difficult to interact with us online and don't use a registered tax or BAS agent, you can phone us for assistance.

    Next step:

      Last modified: 30 Nov 2020QC 62205