ato logo

Undeducted purchase price - Australian source pensions objections

What we need to process an objection to our decision about undeducted purchase price (UPP) Australian source pensions.

Last updated 3 July 2017

We need specific documents and information to process an objection to our decision about undeducted purchase price (UPP) – Australian source pensions.

Providing this information up front will reduce delays.

If you wish to lodge an objection to our decision about UPP – Australian source pensions, you need to:

  • complete and submit the relevant objection form (for taxpayers or tax professionals)
  • provide the supporting information listed below.

Supporting information required

If you have previously given us any of the information listed below, you don't need to resend it.

The information we need includes:

  • your name, address and tax file number (TFN)
  • your date of birth
  • the date on which your pension or annuity was first paid (the first day of the first payment period of the pension or annuity)
  • the name of the provider or company paying your pension or annuity. If this is Comsuper, provide your payment summary or income statement.

If you are receiving a super pension:

  • provide the amount you personally contributed to your super provider after 30 June 1983
  • provide documents from your super provider that show the amount you personally contributed after 30 June 1983
  • let us know for what part of this amount you did not get a tax deduction
  • tell us about any capital gains tax (CGT) exempt money you have rolled over to your super fund or retirement savings account (RSA).

You may be receiving a super pension from a provider that has not paid tax on the contributions it received (for example, some government funds). Or your super pension commenced before 1 July 1994. If so, tell us what amounts you contributed towards your super before 1 July 1983 for which you did not claim – and were not entitled to claim – a tax deduction or rebate. We may be able to supply this figure if you do not have it.

If you are receiving an annuity or super pension you bought with one or more eligible termination payments (ETPs), provide the amounts of each component of the ETP you rolled over into the annuity or super pension. The components are as follows:

  • CGT exempt component
  • Undeducted contributions
  • Concessional component
  • Pre-July 1983 component
  • Post-June 1983 untaxed element
  • Post-June 1983 taxed element
  • Post-June 1994 invalidity component.

If you bought the super pension or annuity you are now receiving solely by rolling over a previous super pension or annuity, tell us when the previous super pension or annuity commenced.

If you are receiving an annuity that you bought with money, other than as described in the previous paragraph, tell us how much you paid for the annuity.

If the period for which you will be receiving the pension or annuity is fixed, tell us how long that period is. If it is not fixed, outline the conditions under which the payments are made.

If your pension or annuity has a reversionary beneficiary who will be entitled to receive all or part of your pension or annuity payments if you die, tell us the name, date of birth and gender of this person.

If you are receiving your pension or annuity because it reverted to you upon the death of someone else, provide the name, date of birth and TFN (if known) of the deceased. 

If someone else is now entitled to a share of your pension or annuity, tell us the percentage to which they are entitled.

If an agreed lump sum, (often called the residual capital value), will become payable when the pension or annuity stops, provide the amount of this lump sum. 

If your pension is eligible for the super pension tax offset, tell us what portion is eligible.

Next steps: