ato logo
Search Suggestion:

Tax Help program

Our Tax Help program is free and helps eligible people earning $60,000 or less lodge their tax return online.

Last updated 6 February 2024

Media: About the Tax Help program Link (Duration: 00:21)

About the Tax Help program

From July to October each year, our accredited volunteers help people lodge their tax returns online. Our volunteers can also help you to:

  • create a myGov account
  • lodge an amendment to your tax return
  • claim a refund of franking credits
  • tell us if you don't need to lodge a tax return.

You can speak to a Tax Help volunteer:

  • online
  • by phone
  • in person at Tax Help centres across Australia.

Eligibility for Tax Help

You are eligible for Tax Help if your income is around $60,000 or less, have simple tax affairs for the income year and you didn't:

  • work as a contractor – for example, a contract cleaner, taxi or uber driver
  • run a business, including as a sole trader
  • have partnership or trust matters
  • sell shares or an investment property
  • own a rental property
  • have capital gains tax (CGT)
  • receive royalties
  • receive distributions from a trust, other than a managed fund
  • receive foreign income, that is not a foreign pension or annuity.

If you are not eligible for Tax Help you may qualify for assistance from a National Tax Clinic program.

Make an appointment

If you’re eligible for the Tax Help program, you will need to make an appointment. You will also need to create a myGov account and link it to the ATO.

When you are ready to make an appointment, phone us on 13 28 61 (select option 3, then option 2) for Tax Help services near you.

You will need to bring the following with you for your appointment:

  • your myGov username or email you use for myGov and password – if you are unable to locate or remember your myGov sign in details, or don't have a myGov account, our volunteers can help
  • your mobile phone to receive your myGov SMS security code
  • your bank account details (BSB and account number)
  • your tax file number (TFN)
  • an original or amended notice of assessment from any one of the last five years
  • income statements or payments summaries from all sources
  • all your receipts for gifts, donations and work-related expenses
  • details of any child support payments made
  • details of your spouse's (married or de-facto) taxable income or a reasonable estimate if you had a spouse at any time during the financial year.

For easy-to-read information about doing your tax or linking the ATO to your myGov account, go to: