ato logo
Search Suggestion:

myTax 2017 Foreign income tax offset

How to claim the foreign income tax offset in your return using myTax.

Last updated 11 June 2017

All foreign tax paid must be converted to Australian dollars before you enter your amounts into your tax return. You can use the Foreign income conversion calculatorThis link opens in a new window.

Completing this section

  1. If the total amount of the foreign tax you paid during 2016–17:
    • does not exceed $1,000, the amount of foreign tax you paid is the tax offset amount automatically completed in the Offsets section
    • is greater than $1,000, you need to work out and enter the foreign income tax offset amount that you are entitled to claim. To work out the amount see Guide to foreign income tax offset rules. Alternatively, you can simply enter a tax offset amount of $1,000. However, if you claim only $1,000 this year, you will not be able to claim the rest of this year's foreign tax in a future income year.
  2. Select Save and continue when you have completed the Offsets section.