Show download pdf controls
  • Work-related travel expenses

    You can claim travel expenses you incur in the course of performing your work duties as an employee. These expenses may include:

    • work-related car expenses
    • expenses for motorcycles and vehicles with a carrying capacity of one tonne or more, or nine or more passengers
    • actual expenses – such as any petrol, oil and repair costs if you travel in a car that is owned or leased by someone else
    • public transport – including taxi fares - on a work trip
    • bridge and road tolls on a work trip
    • parking fees on a work trip
    • short-term car hire for a work trip.

    Generally, the cost of normal trips between home and work is a private expense for which you cannot claim a deduction. However, as an employee there are certain situations where you may be able to claim deductions for travel between your home and workplace.

    Transporting bulky tools and equipment

    For more information about what you can claim and the records you need to keep, view our YouTube video Transporting bulky tools and equipment.


    Duration 0:50. A transcript of Transporting bulky tools and equipment is also available.

    You can claim the cost of using your car to travel between your home and work if all of the following apply:

    • you have to carry bulky tools and equipment you need to use at work
    • it is essential to transport the equipment to and from work and it is not done as a matter of convenience or personal choice
    • there is no secure storage area at your workplace.

    Example 2

    Andre is a concreter. His employer does not supply a secure tools storage area at his workplace so Andre is required to transport his bulky tools and equipment to and from work every day.

    Andre is entitled to claim a deduction for the expenses he incurs to transport his tools and equipment between his home and work.

    Josie works on a large project where secure storage is available for her tools. As Josie chooses to transport her tools to and from work every day, instead of leaving them in the secure storage provided, she cannot claim a deduction for her transportation costs.

    End of example

    Travelling between workplaces

    Work-related daily travel expenses also include the cost of travel:

    • directly between two separate workplaces – for example, when you have a second job (providing neither is your home)
    • from your normal workplace to an alternative workplace, while you are still on duty, and back to your normal workplace or directly home (see example 4)
    • from your home to an alternative workplace, and then to your normal workplace or directly home – for example, if you travel to a client’s premises to work there for the day.

    See also:

    • Taxation Ruling TR 95/34 – Income tax: employees carrying out itinerant work – deductions, allowances and reimbursements for transport expenses

    Example 4

    Jack and Bill are carpenters who are employed to construct roof trusses in their employer's factory and also to install the trusses in houses at a housing estate.

    The travel between home and the factory or between home and the housing estate is travel to and from their normal work place. It is private and no deduction is allowable. The cost of travel between the factory and the housing estate is an allowable deduction.

    End of example

    Shifting workplaces

    You can claim the cost of travelling between your home and work if you have shifting workplaces – that is, you regularly work at more than one location each day before returning home.

    Example 5

    Ramesh is a shop fitter and is required to travel to several worksites each day to provide quotes to clients and work on various jobs.

    Ramesh can claim a deduction for his car expenses between his home and work because he works at several worksites each day.

    End of example

    If you travel to and from a place of education because you are completing a work-related education course, you may be entitled to claim the travel costs as a self-education expense at label D4 Work-related self-education expenses on your tax return.

    Parking expenses and tolls

    You can claim a deduction for parking fees (but not fines) and tolls if the expenses are incurred while you are travelling:

    • between two separate places of work
    • to a place of education for work-related self-education purposes (if the self-education expenses are deductible)
    • in the course of performing your duties – for example, travel between home and work when transporting bulky tools and equipment.

    Otherwise, the cost of that travel is a private expense and the parking fees and tolls are not deductible.

    Work-related daily travel expenses you cannot claim

    Unless you meet the conditions outlined in Work-related travel expenses you can claim, generally the cost of normal trips between home and work is a private expense you cannot claim a deduction for, even if:

    • you work outside normal business hours – for example, working weekends or overtime
    • you are on call
    • you do minor tasks, such as picking up a timesheet on the way to work or home
    • you live a long distance from work
    • there is no public transport available so you use a car.

    You cannot claim a deduction for the cost of:

    • travelling to another workplace for a social function
    • any fines you receive, such as speeding or parking infringements.

    See also:

    How to claim your work-related daily travel expenses

    How you work out your claims and what records you need to keep will depend on whether the motor vehicle you use is considered to be a car and whether you own or lease it.

    Working out if your vehicle is a car

    Your vehicle is considered not to be a car if it is any of the following:

    • a vehicle with a carrying capacity of one tonne or more, such as a utility truck or panel van
    • a vehicle with a carrying capacity of nine passengers or more, such as a minivan
    • a motorcycle.

    To determine whether your vehicle has a load carrying capacity of one tonne or more you will need to refer to the manufacturer’s handbook for your vehicle. The load carrying capacity of your vehicle is the difference between the gross vehicle mass and the kerb weight.

    If your vehicle is not a car, see Claiming expenses for vehicles other than cars.

    Example 6

    Aaron owns a vehicle with a gross vehicle mass of 2,402 kg and a kerb weight of 1,040 kg, therefore the payload or carrying capacity weight of Aaron’s vehicle is:

    2,402 kg − 1,040 kg = 1,362 kg

    As the vehicle’s payload or carrying capacity is greater than 1,000 kg (or one tonne), Aaron’s motor vehicle claim must be made at label D2 Work-related travel expenses on his income tax return. Aaron’s claim is limited to the actual expenses incurred to the extent that the expenses are for work purposes.

    End of example
    Methods of working out your car expenses

    The deduction you can claim must be worked out using one of two methods. The records you must keep will depend on:

    • the estimated amount of business kilometres you travelled for the income year
    • which method you use for claiming car expenses.

    See also:

    The cents per kilometre method

    When working out your deduction using the cents per kilometre method:

    • you don't need receipts or other written evidence, but we may ask you to show how you worked out your estimate of business kilometres. For example
      • by using a diary of work-related travel
      • by basing your costs on a regular pattern of travel
    • you can claim only up to the first 5,000 business kilometres you travel.

    Example 7

    Rudy travels five kilometres each day while carrying out work-related activities. He worked Monday to Friday for 48 weeks during the income year. It would be reasonable for Rudy to calculate his work kilometres in the following way:

    5 (km) × 5 (days) × 48 (weeks) = 1,200 work kilometres

    End of example


    Example 8

    Henry works on building sites. From his diary notes of appointments during the income year, he calculates that he has travelled 4,825 kilometres for work-related activities. Although he does not have an established pattern of travel, his diary notes form a reasonable basis for his calculation.

    End of example
    Logbook method

    The logbook method provides a way of working out the percentage of your car use that is for work purposes. You can then claim a deduction for this percentage of each car expense you incur.

    When using the logbook method, you must keep all of the following:

    • a logbook: to work out the percentage of your car use that was for work purposes your logbook must cover a period of 12 continuous weeks and is valid for five years
    • odometer records: record your opening and closing odometer readings for each year you use the logbook method
    • written evidence for all your car expenses: you can use your odometer records to estimate your fuel and oil costs instead of keeping receipts.

    Example 9

    Marco is employed by a large construction company and uses his car for work purposes. He pays for fuel, oil, repairs and maintenance at the local garage. He pays by credit card, EFTPOS, or occasionally cash.

    Marco claims his car expenses via the log book method, and so does not need to keep the receipts for fuel and oil (he relies on his odometer records). However, he needs to keep receipts for the repairs and maintenance.

    End of example

    You claim your car expenses at D1 Work-related car expenses on your income tax return.

    Next step:

    See also:

    Motor vehicle provided by your employer or any other person

    You cannot claim a deduction for car expenses if your employer or any other person provides a car for you and you do not pay for any of the running costs.

    You cannot claim a deduction for any expenses you incur for the direct operation of a car that your employer provides and that you or your relatives use privately at any time, even if the expenses are work related. Such expenses form part of the valuation of the car for fringe benefits tax purposes.

    Claiming expenses for vehicles other than cars

    If you are eligible to claim your vehicle expenses and your vehicle is a motorcycle or has a carrying capacity of one tonne or more, such as some panel vans and utility trucks, you can only claim your actual expenses.

    Your actual expenses include the cost of:

    • fuel and oil
    • repairs and servicing
    • interest on a car loan
    • lease payments
    • insurance
    • registration.

    If you use your vehicle for both work and private purposes, you can use a diary to show how much of your expenses relate to each. Remember to keep receipts for your actual expenses – this includes for fuel and oil costs. Bank statements and credit card transaction receipts are not sufficient evidence for fuel and oil purchases, you need to keep your actual receipts.

    You claim these expenses at D2 Work-related travel expenses on your income tax return.

    See also:

      Last modified: 17 Aug 2017QC 24373