Show download pdf controls
  • Employment income

    Employment income is money you receive from working. You may be paid cash-in-hand, directly into your bank account, or in another way.

    Regardless of whether you have one job or more, are full time, part-time or casual you need to make sure all of your employment income is included on your tax return.

    This page provides information on the types of employment income you need to declare.

    Find out about:

    Salary and wages

    The most common type of employment income is salary and wages.

    Salary and wages includes:

    • your normal weekly, fortnightly or monthly pay
    • commissions
    • bonuses (including retention bonuses to remain with your employer)
    • money for part-time or casual work
    • parental leave pay
    • dad-and-partner pay
    • payments from 
      • an income protection policy
      • a sickness or accident insurance policy
      • a workers compensation scheme.
    • pay and allowances for continuous full-time service in the Australian Naval, Army or Air Force Reserve
    • foreign employment income – if you are an Australian Government agency employee (and not a member of a disciplined force) include income earned from delivering Australian official development assistance.

    See also:

    Allowances and other employment income

    You may receive other payments in connection with your employment such as:

    • allowances which are separately identified payments made to you by your employer including
      • car, travel, clothing and laundry
      • working conditions – for example, danger, height, dirt or hard lying
      • qualifications or special duties – for example, first aid certificate or safety officer
    • tips, gratuities and payments for your services
    • consultation fees and payments for voluntary services
    • jury attendance fees.

    If you received a travel allowance or overtime meal allowance paid under an industrial law, award or agreement, you don't have to include it on your tax return if it meets all of the following:

    • it was not shown on your payment summary
    • it does not exceed the Commissioner of Taxation's reasonable allowance amount
    • you spent the whole amount on deductible expenses.

    The sharing economy

    The sharing economy is a way of connecting buyers and sellers, usually by an app or website.

    If you are engaged in the sharing economy, the income and deductions from those enterprises needs to be included on your tax return.

    Examples include services such as:

    • providing taxi travel services through 'ride-sourcing'
    • renting out a room or house for accommodation
    • renting out parking spaces
    • providing skilled services (for example web or trade services)
    • supplying equipment, tools, etc
    • completing odd jobs, errands, deliveries, etc.

    See also:

    Lump sum payments

    There are two common types of lump sum payments:

    • When you leave a job, you may receive a lump sum payment for unused annual, long service leave or special leave you may have been entitled to had you not left your job.
    • The second is a lump sum payment in arrears for money owed to you from an earlier income year.

    Both of these lump sum payments are assessable in the year you receive them.

    See also:

    Reportable fringe benefits and super contributions

    Other employment-related income includes:

    • reportable fringe benefits given to you by your employer, such as a work car for private purposes, a cheap loan or free private health insurance
    • reportable super contributions made on your behalf by your employer.

    You don't have to pay tax on these items but they are used to work out whether you are eligible to receive a range of government benefits and tax offsets.

    See also:

    Last modified: 29 Jun 2018QC 31914