Show download pdf controls
  • Income you must declare

    Work out which income you need to declare in your tax return, such as employment, government and investment income.

    Employment income
    Income from working such as wages, allowances, lump sum payments, cash and tips, reportable fringe benefits and super.

    Foreign and worldwide income
    Check if you need to declare foreign income and pay tax, the tax you pay depends on your residency for tax purposes.

    Government payments and allowances
    When to declare taxable and tax-free government payments, pensions and allowances in your tax return.

    Investment income
    Work out which investment income you must declare, such as interest, dividends, rental income or other capital gains.

    Superannuation pensions and annuities
    Find out about declaring income in your tax return from superannuation pensions or annuities.

    Business, partnership and trust income
    How to declare income you earn as a sole trader, as a partner in a partnership or from a trust.

    Compensation and insurance payments
    Check if you need to declare and pay tax on compensation and insurance payments, including settlements.

    Scholarships, prizes and awards
    What to declare in your tax return and tax you pay on scholarships, prizes and awards.

    Your income if you are under 18 years old
    If you're under 18 years old (a minor), special rules apply to income you earn and you may pay tax at a higher rate.

    Taxable, assessable and exempt income
    Income you receive may be taxable, assessable exempt, or non-assessable non-exempt – find out if you need to report it.

    Amounts you do not include as income
    Amounts that you earn or receive that you don't need to declare as income.

    Money you raise with the help of support for a project or venture.

    The sharing economy
    Activities where you share assets or services for a fee through a digital platform.

    Last modified: 26 Apr 2023QC 72087