Show download pdf controls
  • Apply for a refund

    How you apply for a refund depends on whether you have to lodge a tax return.

    If you lodge a tax return

    If you are required to lodge a tax return, you declare your dividend income, including unfranked amounts, franked amounts and franking credits in your Tax return for individuals. We then use this information to work out your refund.

    You do not have to do anything else.

    See also:

    If you don't need to lodge a tax return

    If you are not required to lodge a tax return, you can still claim a refund of your franking credits.

    On this page:


    You can online apply for a refund of your franking credits.

    Lodging online allows us to complete your form using your personal details and the dividend records that have been reported to us. This will save you time and make your claim more accurate.

    If you don’t already have one, you will need a myGov account linked to the ATO. A myGov account gives you access to a range of government services online, all in one place. You might already have one if you deal online with Centrelink or Medicare. Go to Link complete the simple registration process, and link to the ATO.

    See also:

    Once you have logged into your ATO Online account, from the menu at the top of the screen select 'Tax’, then 'Lodgments' then ‘Refund of franking credits’.

    Your personal details, and the dividend records that have been reported to us, will automatically download for you, making the process very streamlined. All you need to do is check the information, add any missing details and submit your form.

    The majority of dividend records are usually available by late July so if you wait until then, most of the work will be done for you.

    Once you have submitted your form, you will be emailed a receipt confirming that we have received your application. There's no need to send any franking credit documentation to us – just keep it with your other financial records.

    We usually process online forms within two weeks.

    If you want to review your online form and details at any time just login to our online services again.

    Automated refund of franking credits process

    From 2017, we have implemented an automated refund process which removes the need for certain people to apply for the refund. A group of self-preparers are automatically issued a refund of their franking credits, based on information that is reported to us by share registries. People who use a tax agent are not eligible.

    Letters or emails are sent in mid-June to those people selected for the automated refund. As the process is still being developed, inclusion is limited to a segment of the population – there is no option for additional clients to be included.

    See also:

    Over the phone

    You can complete a paper copy of Application for refund of franking credits for individuals and then lodge your form over the phone.

    Phone us on 13 28 65 to lodge it. Have a copy of the completed form with you.

    At the prompts, enter your tax file number (TFN), and then press 2.

    After you have verified your identity you will hear a series of automated questions asking you for the information on your application. Simply provide your answers by speaking into the phone.

    At the end of the lodgment you will be given a receipt number. Write this number in the space provided on page 2 of your form.

    Do not send your completed application to us – just keep it with your other financial records.

    We process most forms lodged over the phone within two weeks.

    Next step:

    By post

    You can complete a paper Application for refund of franking credits for individuals.

    You need to post your application to:

    Australian Taxation Office
    GPO Box 9845

    Note: This is the correct address. The address must appear on your envelope as shown. Do not replace the words IN YOUR CAPITAL CITY with the name of your capital city. Because of a special agreement with Australia Post, there is no need for you to include the capital city or a postcode.

    We take up to 50 business days to process claims received by post.

    Next step:

      Last modified: 21 Jan 2019QC 16183