• Do you need to lodge a tax return?

    Most people need to lodge a tax return if their taxable income for the year is more than $18,200.

    If you do need to lodge, your BSWAT lump sum must NOT be included as salary and wages. The amount needs to be reported separately at another label (see Including BSWAT on your tax return).


    In March 2016, Esther received a lump sum of $8,800 under the BSWAT Payment Scheme. The payment was for her supported employment for the financial years 2007–08 to 2013–14.

    Esther also received the following income during 2015–16:

    • $14,000 wages from her employer
    • a part disability pension of $10,097 from Centrelink (this is tax exempt).

    Esther's taxable income for 2015–16 is $22,800 ($8,800 + $14,000).

    Because her taxable income is greater than the current tax-free threshold of $18,200, Esther will need to lodge a tax return for 2015–16.

    End of example

    You can use our tool Do I need to lodge a tax return? to work out if you need to lodge, or you can phone us on 13 28 61 Monday to Friday between 8.00am and 6.00pm.

    If you need to lodge a tax return, you must lodge it on time.

    See also:

    Income you must declare

    Next step:

    When to lodge your tax return

      Last modified: 07 Oct 2016QC 46588