• When to lodge your tax return

    Tax returns cover the period 1 July to 30 June each year. This is known as the financial year.

    When the financial year ends, you have until 31 October to lodge your tax return (unless you're lodging through a registered tax agent). Use the following table to work out when you need to lodge.

    If you receive your payment between:

    You may need to lodge a tax return for:

    If so, you must lodge it by:

    1 July 2015 and 30 June 2016


    31 October 2016

    1 July 2016 and 30 June 2017


    31 October 2017

    1 July 2017 and 30 June 2018


    31 October 2018

    1 July 2018 and 30 June 2019


    31 October 2019

    Most registered tax agents have special lodgment schedules. If you're lodging through a tax agent, your tax agent may be able to lodge later than the 31 October deadline.


    Esther received her BSWAT Payment Scheme lump sum in April 2016, which falls within the 2015–16 financial year.

    In 2015–16, her total taxable income (including the BSWAT payment) was more than $18,200, so she needs to lodge a tax return for 2015–16.

    She must lodge it by 31 October 2016, unless she's lodging through a registered tax agent with a special lodgment program.

    End of example

    If you're not sure when you need to lodge, phone us on 13 28 61 Monday to Friday between 8.00am and 6.00pm.

    Next steps:

      Last modified: 07 Oct 2016QC 46588