• How to lodge your tax return

    If you received a BSWAT payment, there are a few different ways you can lodge a tax return:

    You cannot use myTax to lodge your return. If you try to lodge online, you will not be able to claim the lump sum in arrears tax offset.

    Most people need to lodge their tax return by 31 October. If you don’t lodge on time, you may have to pay a penalty.

    Get help from our Tax Help volunteers

    At tax time, there's free tax help for people on low incomes. Our Tax Help volunteers are available in many community centres from July to October each year. If you earn around $50,000 or less, they can help you do your tax return.

    You can ask your nominee, a family member or friend to go with you to the centre, if you wish.

    To find your nearest tax help centre and make an appointment, phone us on 13 28 61. When you ring it is important to tell us that you have received a BSWAT payment and need help to:

    • lodge a paper return, and
    • claim a lump sum in arrears tax offset.

    See also:

    Tax Help program

    Complete a paper tax return

    You can complete a paper tax return and lodge it by mail. You will need to complete both of the following forms:

    • Tax return for individuals
    • Tax return for individuals (supplementary section) – this is where you report your BSWAT payment under item 24 (other income).

    Detailed instructions are provided in Including BSWAT on your tax return.

    Most refunds for paper tax returns are issued within 50 business days.

    See also:

    Lodge a paper return

    Lodge with a tax agent

    You can use a registered tax agent to prepare and lodge your tax return. Registered tax agents are the only people who can charge you a fee for doing your tax return.

    See also:

    Lodge with a tax agent

    Help from family or friends

    You can ask a family member or friend to help you with your tax return. They cannot charge you a fee – only registered tax agents can charge for preparing tax returns.

    If someone helps you, you must sign the tax return yourself as you are responsible for the information in it.

    Next step:

    Including BSWAT on your tax return

      Last modified: 07 Oct 2016QC 46588