Show download pdf controls
  • Claiming your super early

    You may be able to claim your super early under certain circumstances, either the money in your own super fund or the money we hold in a superannuation holding accounts (SHA) special account.

    Accessing money in your fund

    Generally, you can access your super money when you retire or turn 65 (even if you haven't retired) subject to age-based restrictions. However there are some circumstances where you can access your super savings early such as severe financial hardship and specific medical conditions.

    If you meet certain criteria, you can apply through the Department of Human Services (DHS) for early release of your super funds on specified compassionate grounds. An example of when you may do this would be to make modifications to your home or vehicle in the case of a severe disability.

    See also:

    Accessing money we hold

    We administer the superannuation holding accounts (SHA) special account. It was established to receive small super amounts from employers who could not find a super fund to accept their contributions.

    The SHA special account closed to employer deposits on 30 June 2006. However, it is still open for individual account holders who have not yet transferred their balance to a super fund or retirement savings account. We also use it to deposit unclaimed super guarantee and super co-contribution amounts.

    Apply to us for direct payment if you have retired due to permanent disability and:

    • we hold money for you in our SHA special account
    • we hold super guarantee money for you
    • you were eligible for a co-contribution but you don't have an active, eligible account.

    See also:

    Last modified: 07 Oct 2016QC 33253