Show download pdf controls
  • Update your gender

    You can ask us to change your gender (sex) information if you can provide a certified copy of one of the following documents:

    • a statement from a registered medical practitioner or a registered psychologist which specifies your preferred gender (sex)
    • a valid Australian Government travel document, such as a valid passport, which specifies your preferred gender (sex)
    • a state or territory birth certificate, which specifies your preferred gender (sex)
    • a document from a state or territory Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages recognising a change of gender (sex).

    A statement from a registered medical practitioner or registered psychologist needs to include:

    • the medical practitioner/psychologist's letterhead, including their full name and contact details
    • a declaration from the medical practitioner/psychologist that they have treated you or evaluated your history
    • your full name and the gender (sex) you choose to identify with
    • the medical practitioner/psychologist's signature
    • the medical practitioner/psychologist's registration number from the Medical Board of Australia or Psychology Board of Australia, or an equivalent overseas authority.

    From July 2016, you'll have the option to record your gender (sex) as Indeterminate in your ATO record.

    If you can't provide the necessary documentation to update your gender (sex) information, we can still help by removing the courtesy title from your record (for example, Mr/Mrs/Ms/Miss).

    There are a number of ways you can update your gender:

    By phone

    We can't change your recorded gender (sex) over the phone unless we have recorded it incorrectly from an identity document supplied at registration.

    We can change or remove your title without documentation.

    • In Australia, phone 13 28 61 between 8.00am–6.00pm, Monday to Friday
    • Outside Australia, phone +61 2 6216 1111 between 8.00am–5.00pm AEST and ask to be transferred to 'Personal tax enquiries'.

    By post

    Write to us, and include all of the following:

    • your name and address that we have recorded for you
    • your new name and title
    • a request that we update your gender (sex) information
    • your signature
    • your supporting document as listed above.

    You should mail us a certified copy of the original document. Don't alter or amend it in any way. Documents you mail to us may not be returned to you – don't mail original documents.

    Send your letter and supporting documents to us at:

    Australian Taxation Office
    PO Box 9942

    We'll update your records within 28 days of receiving the letter.

    See also:

    Last modified: 01 Jul 2016QC 44772