Supplementary Explanatory Memorandum(Circulated by authority of the Minister for Veterans' Affairs, the Honourable Danna Vale MP)
Outline, financial impact statement and notes on amendments
The proposed Government amendments amend the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation (Consequential and Transitional Provisions) Bill 2003 (the Bill) to enhance clarity and consistency in the operation of the Bill.
The measures proposed by this Bill will have the following financial impact:
1. The purpose of this amendment to clause 2 is to change the commencement table so that the provisions of the Bill dealing with the Age Discrimination Act 2004 commence at the correct time.
2. The changes to subsections 23(5) and 24(5) of the Veterans' Entitlements Act 1986 (VEA) provide a means of calculating the pension payable when there is a reduced amount payable because of the operation of section 115D. They also provide that the changes to the Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation Scheme (VVRS) will apply from the start of the first pension period after the commencement of section 3 of the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act.
3. This amendment changes the reduction that occurs to the pension of a person undertaking a program under the VVRS. A "Veteran's taper amount" is introduced which leads to a higher pension payment when the person is working low hours. The amount of pension payable decreases as the person works more hours until, when they are undertaking a full working week, the amount payable is the same as under the current VVRS arrangements.
4. These are technical amendments to Schedule 2, to clarify the intent of the provisions of the Bill and ensure consistency in the terminology.
5. This is a technical amendment to proposed section 155 of the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988 to ensure consistency of terminology.
6. This amendment to Schedule 3 inserts consequential amendments to the Age Discrimination Act 2004.
7. These amendments to Schedule 3 insert consequential amendments to the Social Security Act 1991.
8. This amendment to Schedule 3 inserts consequential amendments to the Superannuation Act 1976.