Supplementary Explanatory Memorandum
1. The purpose of these amendments is to address an issue raised by the Senate Standing Committee for the Scrutiny of Bills (the Committee).
2. The Explanatory Memorandum to the Bill states that if procured technology has a broader scan capability that that which is required for the purposes of carrying out an internal non-medical scan, the equipment will be configured so as to limit the scan capability to internal cavities within a skeletal structure, when carrying out an internal non-medical scan.
3. The Committee has recommended that this limitation to the capability of the technology be expressly included in the primary legislation.
4. It is proposed to amend the Bill so as to provide that equipment prescribed for the purposes of this new scan must be configured so that the equipment's use, when carrying out an internal non-medical scan, is limited to that which is necessary to produce an indication that a person is or may be internally concealing a suspicious substance.
Financial impact statement
5. These amendments have no financial impact.