Income Tax Assessment Act 1997



Division 290 - Contributions to superannuation funds  

Subdivision 290-D - Tax offsets for spouse contributions  

SECTION 290-230   Offset for spouse contribution  

You are entitled to a *tax offset for an income year for a contribution you make in the income year to a *superannuation fund, or an *RSA, for the purpose of providing *superannuation benefits for your *spouse (regardless whether the benefits are payable to your spouse ' s *SIS dependants if your spouse dies before or after becoming entitled to receive the benefits).

You are entitled to the *tax offset only if:

(a) he or she was your *spouse when you made the contribution; and

(b) both you and your spouse were Australian residents when you made the contribution; and

(c) the total of your spouse ' s:

(i) assessable income, disregarding your spouse ' s *assessable FHSS released amount for the income year; and

(ii) *reportable fringe benefits total; and

(iii) *reportable employer superannuation contributions;
for the income year is less than $40,000; and

(d) you have not deducted and cannot deduct an amount for the contribution under section 290-60 (employer contributions); and

(e) if the contribution is made to a *superannuation fund - it is a *complying superannuation fund for the income year of the fund in which you make the contribution.

You are not entitled to the *tax offset if, when you make the contribution, you are living separately and apart from your *spouse on a permanent basis.


You are not entitled to the *tax offset for an amount paid by you, as mentioned in regulations under the Family Law Act 1975 , to a *regulated superannuation fund, or to an *RSA, to be held for the benefit of your *non-member spouse in satisfaction of his or her entitlement in respect of the *superannuation interest concerned.


You are not entitled to the *tax offset for an income year if:

(a) your *spouse ' s *non-concessional contributions for the *financial year corresponding to the income year exceed your spouse ' s *non-concessional contributions cap for the financial year; or

(b) immediately before the start of the financial year, your spouse ' s *total superannuation balance equals or exceeds the *general transfer balance cap for the financial year.


For the purposes of subparagraph (2)(c)(iii), reduce (but not below zero) the * reportable employer superannuation contributions by the amount of any * excess concessional contributions your * spouse has for the * financial year corresponding to the income year.

View surrounding sectionsView surrounding sectionsBack to top

This information is provided by CCH Australia Limited Link opens in new window. View the disclaimer and notice of copyright.